Want to be the first to know about our latest UCA vacancies?
Subscribe to our mailing list today to receive job openings directly to your inbox!
List of current vacancies:
1 | Manager of Center of Entrepreneurship (Deadline: 04 Oct. 2020)
2 | Compliance Officer / Lawyer / Senior Lawyer (Deadline: 15 Oct. 2020)
3 | Manager of Advancement for Kazakhstan (Deadline: Position open until filled)
4 | Student Life Advisor (Deadline: Position open until filled)
5 | Campus Counsellor (Deadline: Position open until filled)
Manager of Center of Entrepreneurship
Position: Manager of Center of Entrepreneurship
Department: The School of Professional and Continuing Education
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 04 October 2020
- Provide advice through experts for business development of entrepreneurial ventures;
- Develop and enhance institutional / organizational capacity/ability of target groups through:
- Training and professional growth of local start-ups and existing business ideas;
- Mentoring \ coaching and on-site counseling;
- Study tours/master classes, exchanging best practice experience in the relevant fields;
- Organizing expert groups and workshops in collaboration with local entrepreneurs and local government (developing agenda, list of participants for the training workshops, and preparing discussion points, etc.);
- Drafting workplans, budgets, TORs of programs/trainings, reports, and other project documents (as requested);
- Organizing workshops, and expert group meetings supporting business incubation:
- Guiding business ideas from idea to prototype to market launch;
- Provide business incubation, acceleration and mentoring services to start-ups and innovators;
- Provide consultancy support in fields of entrepreneurship, innovation, business incubation, science, technology, and SME development;
- Monitor research, report, and disseminate trends in technology, innovation, entrepreneurship, and entrepreneurship related issues;
- Provide training, HR development, mentoring and other services in these fields;
- Engage with potential investors with the aim/goal of investing in ideas incubated at the Center of Entrepreneurship;
- Actively pursue all ideas to enhance sustainability of the Center for Entrepreneurship;
- Liaise with national & international partners and other project beneficiaries to promote the project and training activities;
- Liaise with relevant AKDN agencies; UCA, AKF KG and Accelerate Prosperity (AP), etc. to support implementation of project activities;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Commissioning of the Centre;
- Formal Opening of the Centre;
- Development of courses;
- Training of instructors;
- Selection of participants;
- Provision of first training cycles and incubation activities.
- Startup Weekend;
- Business Model Competition;
- Ideas Dating, Hackathons;
- Program to polish business ideas;
- Incubation Program including development of relevant curriculum and teaching materials.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in the area of management, business/economy or related field;
- Good understanding of the existing business principals, strategies, and legislation in the area of Custom Union, community development and capacity building;
- At least 2 years in conducting trainings and workshops employing a participatory approach;
- Experience in project/programme management and coordination with international agencies;
- Professional report writing skills;
- Knowledge of gender equality issues and skills on gender analysis of policy documents;
- At least 3 to 5 years of experience in sales/marketing and business management;
- Experience with mentoring and helping take business ideas to fruition would be preferred;
- Advanced proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Experience in providing consultancy support in fields of entrepreneurship, innovation, business incubation.
Compliance Officer / Lawyer / Senior Lawyer
Position: Compliance Officer / Lawyer / Senior Lawyer
Department: Office of Legal Affairs, Operations
Duty station: Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 15 October 2020
- In general, the Compliance Officer / Lawyer shall ensure that UCA complies with its internal policies and applicable laws of the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan and Kazakhstan, and shall also be responsible for the management of disclosures made in accordance with UCA Safe Disclosure Policy. In particular:
- Keep up to date with relevant and applicable laws and regulations;
- Monitor UCA compliance with laws, regulations and internal policies;
- Investigate irregularities and non-compliance issues related to partner Universities, Donor Agencies and contracts of UCA staff;
- Highlight or escalate areas of concern to the senior management;
- Contribute to robust and effective compliance controls within UCA;
- Assist in the gathering of internal information in response to regulatory requests;
- Collaborate with other departments to create a culture of compliance;
- Collect and collate all contracts entered into by UCA;
- Monitor and update (where necessary) document control procedures for continued tracking and reporting;
- Coordinate with various departments to obtain copies of contracts;
- Coordinate with the Finance Department to obtain details of possible contracts;
- Work with UCA Finance and Materials Management Department to ensure that all financial transactions are supported by contract documentation;
- Update, maintain and archive a comprehensive database of all contracts;
- Maintain all relevant files related to contract documentation;
- Verify contracts to ensure these are validated by the legal department;
- Ensure the implementation of the Safe Disclosure Policy;
- Ensure that all electronic or paper files or materials relevant to an internal investigation are kept confidential and secure;
- Report a summary of the investigations of disclosures to the Audit & Risk Committee; and
- Work on ongoing legal issues as assigned by the management.
- Education Requirement
- Specialist diploma or bachelor’s degree in law;
- LL.M. would be an advantage.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as a lawyer (experience with well-known law firms is desired);
- Experience as a compliance officer, safe disclosure officer or internal investigator would be an added advantage.
- Good understanding of monitoring and managing contracts and other documents.
- Proficiency in English and Russian; and
- Ability to independently interact and communicate with the stakeholders.
Manager of Advancement for Kazakhstan
Position: Manager of Advancement for Kazakhstan
Department: Advancement and Public Affairs
Duty station: Almaty, Kazakhstan
Deadline: Position open until filled
- Assist the Director of APA in developing and achieving fundraising goals, strategies, plans and objectives for potential donors in Central Asia.
- Identify prospects and develop strategies to cultivate and solicit major gifts from corporations, and high net worth individuals in Kazakhstan.
- Prepare fundraising proposals and gift opportunities for solicitating donations from existing as well as new prospects.
- Identify and analyse information pertinent to the development of relationships with potential individual donors and corporations.
- Prepare and present fund raising status reports to University officials.
- Develop and administer recognition policies, and establish on-going dialogue and communication with existing and potential donors.
- Visit donors, donor organisations, and foundations throughout Kazakhstan to raise awareness of the University’s programmes, new initiatives, and achievements, with the objective of soliciting gifts.
- Supervise and implement an effective programme of communication and stewardship for all donors and prospects.
- Organise events on campus and elsewhere to showcase key programmes and achievements of UCA, with the objective of creating awareness and seeking donor support.
- Plan and manage various campaigns and annual giving drives to achieve established fund raising targets and goals.
- Recruit, train, and oversee volunteers in various donor geographies, to ensure they become effective in donor research, cultivation, solicitation (where appropriate), and follow up.
- Establish systems for the effective tracking of fundraising drives, pledges, collections, acknowledgement of gifts, and timely collection of pledges.
- Cultivate relationships with Central Asian and international media to give UCA greater regional and global exposure.
- Provide strategic guidance to all entities and officers of the University on communications and marketing, media engagement, and donor event planning and management.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of APA.
- Master’s degree, preferably in business, marketing, public relations, fundraising, government, or other germane fields. Relevant experience in lieu of a Master’s degree may be considered in exceptional cases.
- At least ten years of experience in the corporate, business, or marketing profession. Previous fundraising experience is desirable.
- The ability to motivate volunteers to engage with potential donors, and ensure effective follow up.
- Maturity and ability to work with senior persons including UCA’s management team.
- Ability and stamina to travel regionally and internationally.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fundraising and communications for an innovative institution like UCA requires the ability to think creatively, and a strong commitment to the mission and objectives of the University.
- Demonstrated record of establishing relationships and rapport with the media.
- Fluency in English, Kazakh, and Russian. Ability to speak in Kyrgyz and Tajik, an asset.
Student Life Advisor
Position: Student Life Advisor
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic and Khorog, Tajikistan (please indicate the location of interest)
Deadline: Position open until filled
- Provide meaningful, education, co-curricular, experiential, and social programming to support students' growth, development, and relationship building;
- Lead in the implementation of all athletics (e.g. sports teams, fitness programs, outdoor activities etc.), student clubs (e.g. Debate Club, Model United Nations, Theater Club, Research Club etc.), student leadership (e.g. Student Association), diversity and inclusion activities, community service, and academic support (e.g. tutoring) on campus;
- Lead orientation programmes for first year students to ensure they are properly settled into campus life and are comfortable living away from home;
- Offer programmes that orient students to the university resources available to them, and those that will help students find their niche in the wider campus community;
- Assist with organizing university-wide events, floor events, training and guidance to student groups, event planning, fiscal management, procurement etc.;
- In some instances, support academic programmes;
- Create diversity and inclusion programming that could include workshops or events and encourage a daily practice of tolerance and understanding;
- Help establish a campus community to create an ethically sound student body.
- Encourage an immersive English language environment, which will be critical for the success of students in UCA’s academic programmes;
- Educate residents on the policies and procedures of Residential Life, Student Code of Conduct, and the university overall;
- Hold residents accountable for their behavior;
- Perform as a mediator in conflicts among residents and staff.
- Keeping track of student residents;
- Document policy violations, create reports, survey analysis;
- Report maintenance and facility concerns, conduct health and safety inspections, and some dormitory walk throughs;
- Procure items for students and handle logistics queries.
- Assist residents in developing relationships with each other;
- Promote student involvement in university activities and events;
- Act as a positive role model for both fellow staff members and residents by not participating in questionable and unethical behaviors and by following the highest standards of personal conduct;
- Counsel residents regarding personal and academic concerns;
- Be visible, regularly available, and accessible to address residents' needs or concerns;
- At times required to work evenings and weekends to monitor student programming or events.
- Build one-on-one relationships with students with the goal of helping them develop as well-rounded individuals;
- Provide support related to study skills, time management, reasoning, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required;
- At least two years’ experience tutoring or working with students in upper years of high school or the first and second year of university;
- Experience working with or leading one or more of the following programmes for students: Athletics Programmes, Student Clubs and/or Student Leadership Programmes, Academic Support Programmes, Residential Life
- Event planning and logistics experience is an asset;
- Demonstrates sensitivity to and interest in people, neutrality, respect for dignity and open-mindedness on issues;
- At least two years of on campus living at a college or university is an asset;
- Have one to three years of experience working with students, in student services and/or residence life; experience as an RA or RD is preferred;
- Self-disciplined; interested in people on an individual basis and aware of the feelings, needs, and rights of others; interested in group living and in promoting positive aspects of community life on the floor and in the hall as a whole;
- Able and willing to fulfill all management functions; committed to student growth and the concept that student life facilitate the educational and personal development; committed to a flexible work environment
- Demonstrates initiative and is a self-starter;
- Event planning skills are highly valuable;
- Passionate about the quality of life for all residents;
- Approachable and accessible to residents;
- Discreet, will respect confidentiality guidelines at all times, and has demonstrated tact, good judgement, maturity and a high level of conduct when dealing with others;
- Good listener and possesses an ability to communicate effectively;
- Effective in helping residents to understand/resolve their problems and will refer them to a professional resource/counsellor as needed;
- Works well in a team setting;
- Convey a positive attitude towards the SLA position and its duties and responsibilities;
- Can work in a flexible work environment.
- Advanced English (written and spoken) is required;
- Fluency in Russian is required;
- Knowledge of Kyrgyz, Tajik, Shugni and/or Kazakh would be an asset.
Salary and package to attract the best candidate. The Student Life Advisor is required to live on campus in the dormitories and must be available to be on-call.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to AKDN Career Centre.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Position: Campus Counsellor
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: Position open until filled
- Offer mental health assessment and counselling to students on a wide variety of issues including suspected or confirmed mental health problems;
- Create awareness among students, faculty and staff regarding mental health and diversity issues;
- Develop and manage support programs for campus crises;
- Offer personal counselling to students adjusting to post-secondary studies and living away from home.
- Provide confidential consultations to staff/faculty and their families on an individual basis regarding matters both personal and professional i.e. stress and mental health problems;
- Offer a variety of educational and training workshops for faculty and their families;
- Work closely with other student services areas (e.g. security, nurse, residence advisors) to ensure a holistic and seamless approach.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a diverse student body, preferably with experience in the developing world and/or in a rural community;
- A capacity to handle sensitive situations and confidential information with discretion and a genuine concern for student success;
- An understanding of issues and cultural norms experienced by Central Asian students;
- An ability to establish a cooperative work environment and create strong collaborative relationships;
- Proven ability to engage students, staff and faculty in developing a healthy campus culture that supports well-being;
- Experience working with health care professionals to offer integrated mental and health services such as critical incident training;
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with academic personnel and leadership;
- Willingness to build expertise in career counselling;
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Graduate Degree in Counselling Psychology from a reputable graduate program;
- One year of supervised clinical counselling training;
- Minimum of one-year psychological counselling experience;
- Preference will be given to applicants with two years of personal, mental health, crisis and student success counselling at a post-secondary institution within the past five years;
- Professionalism, tact, accuracy, timeliness, and sensitivity are required to effectively advise students and to maintain and enhance relationships with students;
- Experience with group and/or workshop facilitation including development of seminars;
- Specialized training and credentials in any areas of critical incident training, mental health training, and/or diversity training is an asset.
- Advanced English is required, Russian fluency is strongly preferred;
- Working knowledge of Kyrgyz, Tajik, and Kazakh would be an asset.
- Reports to the Manager of Student Affairs, works closely with the Dean of Arts and Sciences, the Cooperative Education Office, Faculty and Staff.